Sangha Safety Pointers
· Think in terms of “self-awareness” instead of “self-defense.”
· In traveling to or from EBMC, have a buddy system.
· You can call the Oakland Ambassadors and request an escort. Information is posted in the EBMC office.
· When you leave EBMC, remember that you are shifting to a faster paced environment with more flow.
· Practice being aware of everything within twenty feet in front of you, in back of you, and on either side of you.
· Make sure you’re carrying your bag or purse in a way that’s comfortable and secure, and practice looking confident, alert and friendly.
· Transition zones, such as getting into or out of your car, and going into or out of the meditation center are places for heightened awareness.
· A more complete set of safety and self-awareness tips by martial arts instructor Michele Benzamin-Miki, who is also an EBMC community teacher, is downloadable here as a PDF.
An edited video of "Mindfulness and the Possibility of Freedom: Angela Davis and Jon Kabat-Zinn in Dialogue," a benefit for the East Bay Meditation Center that was held on January 15, 2015, is now available!
Please go to http://davisandkabatzinnvideo.eventbrite.com.
Please practice generosity and keep EBMC's operations running smoothly by Adopting a Bill! You can adopt all or part of one of our monthly bills by clicking below.
Four Sangha members are generously participating in this way of giving and we ask you to join them. Deep bows of gratitude to our generous Sangha!
Some of our bills include:
Insurance: $425 - ADOPTED
Phone: $50 - ADOPTED
Office Supplies: $175
Internet: $30 - ADOPTED
Program Supplies: $85
Web Hosting: $18 - ADOPTED
Database Hosting: $20 - ADOPTED
Security System: $45 - ADOPTED
Online Communication: $80
Bookkeeping system: $20 - ADOPTED
Payroll Service: $150
Click on the Donate Now button. Choose the “recurring donation” option and indicate which bill you’d like to pay in the “Event/Program Designation” line. It’s that easy!
There are a number of items we would love to have at EBMC that would make our home even more warm, efficient, and accommodating. Please view the Wish List page for more details.
Volunteering for EBMC is fun and inspiring, and a great way to deepen your spiritual practice. We have a variety of volunteer positions, some of which can be done anywhere with Internet access, and some of which require being on site at the meditation center, either on a regular basis or for a specific, time-limited project. Our generous, talented volunteers are an important part of the heart of our community, and are all leaders in helping to make EBMC a vibrant and sustainable community resource. For more information, check out our volunteer page.
A few of our wonderful volunteer painting crew. To volunteer for other special projects like this, email through our Contact Us page. For more information about other volunteer opportunities, visit our Volunteer page.